The Muslim Public Service Network welcomes talented, committed individuals to be part of our team that is dedicated to promoting promoting public service and civic engagement.
The following is a list of current job openings and internships. Please do not contact MPSN staff directly about job postings or your resume-they will be unable to respond to any inquiries.
MPSN is seeking an Executive Director (ED), who will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the organization's staff, programs, expansion, and the execution of its mission. The Executive Director will report directly to the Board of Directors.
MPSN is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that supports exceptional young American Muslims from diverse backgrounds in public service and civic engagement. Founded in 1994, MPSN operates one of the most distinguished summer fellowship programs in Washington, DC focusing on inspiring, educating and training the next generation of American Muslim public service leaders. For more information, visit our website at www.muslimpublicservice.org.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Muslim Public Service Network's staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
The Executive Director will also be responsible for development and execution of the Summer Fellowship Program, in addition to building a high-caliber core staff team and volunteers. During this start up phase, the Executive Director will be the first and sole staff member of the organization. She or he should possess the flexibility, good humor, courage and creativity that will be needed to propel the organization forward. This job will be as challenging as it will be rewarding.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of the organization's activities
- In addition to the Chair of the Board, act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board, when appropriate
- Actively engage and energize volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders
- Collaborate with the Board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with MPSN's core mission
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all executives, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization
- Establish effective decision-making processes that will enable MPSN to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Directors and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals
- Help recruit and strengthen a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors that is representative of the community, that is highly engaged, and that is willing to leverage and secure resources
Operational Planning and Management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, funders, and Board of Directors
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensure that personnel, client, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials
Financial Planning, Management, and Development
- Work with staff and the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments
- Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the organization and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Recruit, interview and select staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization's mission
- Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures
Program Planning and Management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization's programs and services (i.e. Summer Fellowship Program)
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization's mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects
- Rationalize the delivery of Summer Fellowship Program through new and existing offices and partnerships with various government agencies, NGOs, think tanks, and other public service oriented organizations.
- Increase efficiencies and consistency throughout the organization by developing and implementing standardized programs, services, and program office marketing
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization's people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
The ED will first and foremost be committed to the execution of MPSN's mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA, MPA or related advanced degree
- At least 3 years of senior management experience, preferably with start-up non-profit organizations
- Track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to attract, retain, and coach staff manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives develop and manage organization-wide and program budgets
- Significant board development, fundraising, marketing/branding and fiscal management experience a must
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team
How to Apply
To apply for the position, please submit your application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line. Please be sure to attach a cover letter describing interest in the position and summary of qualifications resume with chronological employment history grant writing sample three references, salary history and expectations.
The Muslim Public Service Network is committed to a policy of providing employment opportunities to all qualified people regardless of economic or social status and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.